Iron deficiency is more common post weight loss surgery and in pre-menopausal women. Iron is used by the body to carry oxygen in the blood. It is needed for a healthy immune system.
Signs of iron deficiency include
- Tiredness and lack of energy
- Poor concentration
- Frequent infections
As iron deficiency becomes more advanced other signs appear
- Brittle or spoon shaped nails
- Sore mouth
- Smooth tongue
- Cracks in corners of the mouth that may bleed
- Pre-menopausal women 18mg iron/day
- Pre-menopausal women who have had weight loss surgery 40-60mg iron/day
- Post-menopausal women and men 8mg iron per day
- Post-menopausal women and men who have had weight loss surgery 18 -27mg iron/day
Most supermarket brands of iron contain only 5mg of iron. Weight loss surgery multivitamins contain 18-24mg of iron per dose. BN Iron contains 24 mg of iron per tablet. This dose plus a bariatric specific multivitamin will result in an intake of around 40mg of iron per day. This may be necessary for those who have trouble absorbing iron such as those who have had gastric bypass surgery or have a history of iron deficiency.
The above recommendations are only a guide and do not take into consideration individual needs. For a full assessment and advice from one of our dietitians please book an appointment at dietcare.com.au/book-online.
Each tablet contains
Ferrous fumarate 76.85mg
Equivalent to Iron 24mg